writing with light
Photo (Greek, phōtōs) - light
Graphy (Greek, graphia) - to write
Photography is literally writing with light. I love this! I am, first and foremost, a storyteller.
At an early age, my father knew what he wanted to do once he turned 18 years old: apprentice under Frank Lloyd Wright. When Wright died prior to my father finishing high school, those plans changed. His love of architecture, however, never changed. Although he eventually went on to practice law, our home was a veritable library for myriad books on FLW, Richard Neutra, and architectural design and theory. I grew up with photographs the finest architectural designs in existence perpetually at my fingertips, though I did not fully appreciate them at the time.
Then, when I was about 10 years old, we took a summer trip to visit family friends in Cooperstown, NY. On the way, we made a stop in Mill Run, PA, where we visited Fallingwater, the masterpiece originally commissioned by Edgar J. Kaufmann and now owned by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. This experience was eye-opening. It provided a completely different perspective on all the photos in all the books I'd casually glanced through growing up. It birthed a fascination with architectural design and, more importantly, the imagery thereof.
I've always been drawn to the creative. I play a few instruments, write songs, and I'm fascinated by film. I love the creative side of branding and communication, and I become captivated when people tell me about their lives and businesses. I truly enjoy learning what makes them who they are.
I also love real estate, both residential and commercial, and real estate investing has become a field of great interest to me over the years. There is certainly an art to real estate photography that differs from pure architectural photography, and both are rewarding for different reasons.
Also of note, a few years ago I had the opportunity to invest with a few friends in an amazing local coffee start-up that's thriving. Through this experience I've learned a tremendous amount about retail, entrepreneurship, and what it takes to run a business. Most importantly though, I've become an insufferable coffee snob.
working with me
So, what can you expect when working with me? I can make you these promises:
- Passion: I will give you everything I've got. I love what I do, and it shows.
- Professionalism: I will treat you the way that I want to be treated - kindly, fairly, and honestly.
- Attention to Detail: I never overbook and will always take the time necessary to create beautiful images, both while shooting and in post-production.
- Quality: I use Canon professional bodies and lenses, and professional lighting (when necessary), post-process using Adobe software, and always back up files to ensure security.
- Convenience: I understand the importance of timeliness, and will abide by our agreed-upon delivery date.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss a project, please contact me.